Learn how to record a presentation slide by slide using Microsoft PowerPoint. This is a great option for guest lecturers who don't have access to Panopto.
- Open or create a PowerPoint presentation.
- Click the Slide Show menu item.
- Click Record Slide Show.
- Select to Record from Current Slide or Record from Beginning.
- Select the Settings dropdown in the top right and ensure you have the correct microphone and webcam selected.
- If you do not want to record using your webcam, you can disable it from the camera button in the bottom right of the screen.
- You can draw on the slides using the tools and colors along the bottom.
- You can toggle your notes on or off using the Notes button at the top of the screen.
- You can Advance to the Next Slide or Return to the Previous Slide using the arrows on the right and left.
- When you're ready to begin recording, click Record in the top left.
- Click Stop when you are finished recording.
- Click Replay to play your recording on the current slide.
- If you want to delete a recording, select Clear and either Clear Recordings on Current Slide or Clear Recordings on All Slides.
- When you're finished recording, click the X in the top right corner.
- Now that you have your recordings made, you just need to save the presentation as an MP4 video file. To do this:
- Click File.
- Click Save As.
- Select the file type dropdown and choose MPEG-4 Video (*.mp4).
- Click Save.
Note: Make sure you also keep a copy of the presentation as a .PPTX file so that you can easily make changes to the presentation in the future and re-save as an MP4 without having to re-record the whole thing.
It may take a while for the video to process, depending on how long the recording is. You can view the status along the bottom edge of PowerPoint as shown in the screenshot below.
During this time, PowerPoint must remain open, but you may minimize it and continue to use your computer. Or lock your computer (Windows key + L) if you need to step away without interfering with the process. Avoid logging out of Windows or shutting down your computer until the process is complete.
Once the .MP4 is finished processing, you can upload the file to Panopto using these steps:
- Navigate to the desired Panopto course folder.
- Click the Create button.
- Click Upload Media.
- Drag the file into the dotted box.
- Wait until you receive an Upload complete message and then you may close out of Panopto.